Growing up, did you see your grandfather or an uncle smoke a pipe? Smoking a pipe is a ritual for many people as well as a way to relax and read something interesting in the paper. Sitting in a favorite spot and spending time with close friends some others may find it a way to sit quietly and contemplate. It is a fact that smoking a pipe or a bong is an acquired taste. What other images come to mind? The movies? Sherlock Holmes? Even today, Pipes and Bongs feels like being part of manly ritual for many and here is what is needed to get started.
- For those who are just getting started out, invest in good quality basics. Items required are
- Pipe – Don’t buy an expensive one at this stage as you have to get used to the experience. If you find you don’t like it, you can toss it and not feel bad.
- Tamper: This is not exactly necessary but is very useful in packing down the tobacco. Choose one which doubles up as a cleaner too.
- Cleaner: When you go a tobacco store, the manager will be more than happy to offer you one for free. If your tamper doubles up as a cleaner, you can dispense with this tool.
- Tobacco: This is where it gets exciting – a knowledgeable tobacconist is really essential here. Since tobacco comes in many flavors, they can guide you in getting the right blend to get started. Buy a few samples so you can figure out which one you like best.
Comparing types of Smoking
So, why does it matter what you use to smoke – a pipe or a bong? The simplest answer to this question is that it is all about heat. One of the main differences is the temperature of the smoke being inhaled. Joints, pipes and cigarettes are a convenient option but the temperature is higher. Bongs are the better alternative as the smoke cools when it passes through the water before it is inhaled. This can have quite an impact on your smoking experience.
Over time, hot smoke can cause discomfort and damage a smoker’s lungs. Of course, smoking is not the best habit to have – though if one plans to do it occasionally, cool smoke is better for the body and lungs. It is also less harmful. Another thing to keep in mind is that variations in temperature are caused by the air around the smoke before it reaches your lips. People have their own tastes and being aware of the options and benefits is always helpful in making an informed choice.